Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dear All,

I am writing to get a better sense of the current permitting picture. I presume Streamline is heading forth with their own permitting process with the County. But I need to know where everyone is. I just had a discussion with Brian Park at the County DPW and he said that entities permitted to go into the channel will need to show the County how they will be liable for losses —this includes the non-profits like Heal the Bay and SCMI, as well as school representatives and students. I am about to start getting permission for various entities to go in the Creek, but before I do, I need to know the following:

  • Will Heal the Bay have it all taken care of on their own?
  • Does anyone not want me to try to coordinate this (am I getting in the way)?

I’m sure everybody is already really familiar with this situation, but for clarity and for a sense of unified movement, please respond and give us a status report here. Click below to leave a comment. If you don't want to log in, select "other" as your identity. This allows you to just leave a comment a go without logging in.


Anonymous Alex said...

To add to the string, click on the 'comments' button and select your identity as "other." This allows you to comment without going through a log-in process.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Meredith said...

We do not need a permit from LA County to be in the soft bottom part of the creek behind the Casino as it is Army Corps jurisdiction. Elana has taken care of getting Army Corps a letter of insurance for Heal the Bay’s activities there. As for the additional water quality testing we will do elsewhere in the channel we will make sure we get Brian the permit. Thanks Alex for following up on this.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

hi Alex,
I am not familiar with the process at all and would love any help.
"proof of liability for losses" is still not clear to me what specific documents I need. I will ask HTB, I am sure they have it all sorted out.

Would this permitting process be confined to Compton Creek. Do I need to begin an independent permiting process for work in the LA River?

Thanks again,

6:30 PM  
Blogger Alexkenefick said...

My guess is that the permit would be confined to Compton Creek, but that if we submitted an identical application for the LA river, it would go through the same office. Please do contact HTB about it with your questions, but if you need more clarification, I’ll give you the contact for the county guy Brian Park. He can tell you if what you provide (SCMI’s proof of insurance) satisfies the county reqirements.

If you have waivers that kids sign before you work with them, that seems like a place to start. It’s likely that those waivers are required by SCMI’s insurance company, and that they could help you get closer to what you’d need to do to satisfy the county’s requirement.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home